Entrepreneurs drive the Canadian economy, strengthen communities and create jobs.
In JA’s A Business of Our Own program, grade 3-6 students put on entrepreneurial hats and run their own retail business. Students learn how to start a business, produce and promote their products, track their finances and manage a team. Volunteers from the local business community use experiential blended learning and game-based technology to engage students and ignite their passion for business. In addition to in-class lessons, budding entrepreneurs are now able to continue learning at home through JA's online business simulation.
- Identify different types of organizations
- Understand the basics of managing a business and financial record keeping
- Create and implement a business plan for their own retail business
- Describe their experience in operating a business
- Draw conclusions about planning and running a retail business
Students can also access our self-directed program through the JA Campus.
Programs offered on the JA Campus allow students to learn on an easy-to-use platform and test their knowledge through fun interactive exercises. This virtual learning space is free to use – set up your free account today!
Use the links below for more information about getting involved with A Business of Our Own.
To check program availability, or for more information about A Business of Our Own, contact your local JA office.