At JA Canada (JACAN) we are building our team and looking for a bilingual, French and English, Curriculum & Instructional Designer who is passionate about youth education. This role is pivotal in developing best in class curriculum, content and assessment rubrics for classroom and independent learning programs, ensuring the alignment of learning outcomes to curriculum, and developing training resources for volunteers and educators. The successful candidate will play a key role in enhancing the quality of education we offer and promoting a positive learning environment for our students.
JACAN is the national office for JA in Canada and a member of JA Worldwide. JACAN has been providing financial literacy, workplace readiness and entrepreneurship programs in partnership with the Canadian education system since 1955. Designed to inspire, prepare and help youth succeed, JA programs are delivered across Canada via a network of 14 offices across Canada to reach over 270,000 youth annually.
In pursuit of greater reach, relevance and impact, JACAN is committed to digital transformation to leverage new technological resources and efficiencies while increasing potential reach via digital program accessibility. The JA Campus, launched in 2020, has more than 20 eLearning and facilitated program experiences for teachers and students in grades 3-12. JACAN is committed to developing best in class curriculum and using effective programming methods to reach youth across Canada.
As a Curriculum & Instructional Designer you will report to the VP, Programs and Charter Services. You will be responsible for managing the end-to-end production of program development projects for youth, educators and JA’s volunteers. Depending on the project, you may work independently or be required to manage a working group that includes other subject-matter experts and consultants. This may include programs staff, educators, and video production teams. Ideally, to ensure success in this role you will have experience designing learning content for youth and a good understanding of grade 3-12 curriculum and educational priorities across Canada.
A summary of work includes, but is not limited to, the following:
Curriculum and Program Development:
- Conduct thorough research to identify best practices and current trends in curriculum development and education.
- Collaborate with educational experts and stakeholders to align learning outcomes with curriculum goals and objectives.
- Review and update existing eLearning and facilitated digital and print program content to increase interactivity, relevance, alignment with curriculum
- Develop new curriculum for eLearning, facilitated and blended courses for Junior, Middle and High school students
- Develop resources to support educators and volunteers, including lesson plans and instructional materials.
- Ensure instructional materials are accessible, inclusive, and suitable for diverse student populations.
Outcomes Measurement and Evaluations:
- Design and develop assessment rubrics that align with learning outcomes and measure student performance effectively.
- Analyze assessment data to identify trends, gaps, and areas of improvement in student learning.
- Analyze assessment data to reference against Theory of Change
- Utilize the LMS platform to upload and organize multimedia elements, course modules, assessments, and interactive components.
- Ensure all uploaded content adheres to JA Canada's design and quality standards, including proper formatting, accessibility, and functionality.
- Conduct quality checks to identify and resolve any technical issues, broken links, or outdated information within the LMS.
- Implement version control and manage content archives to ensure accurate historical records of course iterations.
- Collaborate with the IT team to address technical issues, ensure system stability, and optimize the user experience on the LMS.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum three years experience in youth education or relevant course design and development
- Instructional design and education background, or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with best practices for learning content design, development and delivery for facilitated, eLearning and blended learning models
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage end-to-end learning content development from identifying needs through to development and impact assessment
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage subject matter working groups and teams of contributors as needed
- Fluent in English and French
- Competency working in Moodle and WordPress
- Working knowledge of HTML 4 & 5
- Competency with Articulate Storyline and the Adobe Suite (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator specifically)
- Knowledge of iSpring Presenter is an asset
If you think this role is a good fit for you we encourage you to submit your resume with a cover letter that highlights alignment to the position qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. A portfolio of past work is considered an asset. The posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is secured.
JA Canada is committed to a diverse, inclusive, equitable and accessible environment where differences are valued and respected in all areas of our business. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and abilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. JA Canada will not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed (religion), sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation or identity, disability, age (18 and over), record of offenses for which a pardon has been granted, marital status (including same sex partners), family status (being in a parent-child relationship), or any other grounds prohibited by the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We thank all candidates for their interest in advance. Based on anticipated volume of applicants, we will only respond to successful applications. An offer of employment with JA Canada is conditional upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.