Junior Achievement of South Western Ontario (JASWO) is a member of JA Canada and part of JA Worldwide (JA) the world's largest not-for-profit organization dedicated to educating young people about business.
For over 55 years, schools in Southwestern Ontario have relied on JASWO to prepare young people for success in an ever-changing global economy. In fact, over 19,000 students per year have benefitted from JA programs, each delivered free of charge by 993 volunteers from local business communities, coupling their real-life experience with innovative JA program content.
JA programs focus on work readiness, financial literacy and entrepreneurship, giving students the confidence and skills they need to become the next generation of business and community leaders.
PRESIDENT AND CEO OPPORTUNITY
JASWO is looking for a President and CEO to oversee the mandate of the organization to reach students in Grades 4-12 with life-altering curriculum in Financial Literacy, Work Readiness and Entrepreneurship in Southwestern Ontario. The position is also currently managing Junior Achievement Waterloo Region as acting President and CEO.
Three leadership roles report into this position: Director Programs & Operations, Director Philanthropy and Regional Director. There is a total of 10 individuals currently working in the Charters. Three locations are managed.
The role reports to the Chair of a 13-member SWO Board of Directors and 10-member Waterloo Region Board of Directors.
Leadership and Strategy
- Provide leadership to the teams tasked with Revenue Development, Program Delivery, Finance, Operations and Marketing, and Volunteer Engagement.
- Build a culture of performance and results.
- Develop and implement a new Strategic Plan with input from the board that provides direction and focus on key strategies that will drive JASWO growth. (Current Strategic Plan expires 2021).
- Support the work of JA Canada by collaborating on opportunities of mutual interest, providing feedback on National/Charter initiatives, participating in annual Forums and engaging in a leadership capacity on committees and teams as required.
- Participate in monthly meetings with the Ontario Charters.
- Actively participate in the recruitment of influential decision makers from the private and public sectors to serve on the Board of Directors to ensure the fiduciary and fundraising responsibilities of the organization are achieved.
- Oversee the recruitment of members and activities of standing and operating committees.
- Facilitate effective governance, ensuring Bylaws are adhered to and that the organization is compliant with the JA Canada Policy & Procedures Operating Manual.
- Plan the Annual General Meeting in October.
- Plan and support monthly meetings of the Board of Directors (September to June) by preparing Agendas, operational reports and governance documents to keep Directors informed to fulfil their fiduciary responsibilities.
Revenue Development and Marketing
- Actively engage in the revenue development efforts of the organization including participation in donor meetings, prospecting new partners, advising on Individual Giving strategies and actively support the implementation of key fundraising events, the London & District Business Hall of Fame Gala, Waterloo Gala and two annual Golf Tournaments.
- Work to ensure consistency in message and visual elements, promoting the brand on several channels and growing reach on the website and social media channels.
- Build and leverage the Junior Achievement brand to be positioned as a reputable provider of financial literacy, work readiness and entrepreneurial activities.
- Participate in several after-hour events for networking, donor or student engagement purposes.
Financial and Operations
- Ensure bottom line financial targets such as revenue, expenses, and surplus are achieved and that student reach numbers meet or exceed targets.
- Prepare annual budgets, review risk mitigation strategies, oversee office maintenance. Ensures a functional and comfortable work environment for staff.
- Meet and approve all new hires, ensure performance reviews happen annually and regularly update the HR Manual.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory filings.
- Implement quality processes and procedures and implement Salesforce CRM and other systems where needed.
- Build partnerships to enhance JA’s mission.
Technology and Innovation
- Implement new digital program delivery models going forward.
- Ensure a progressive, forward-thinking perspective on program delivery and student reach models by supporting the IT infrastructure and technology capabilities of the organization.
Program Development, Delivery and Support
- Broaden and enlarge the reach of JA programs for youth.
- Cultivate and increase volunteer commitment.
- Enhance relationships with JA Canada.
- Enhance relationships with Education and School Boards.
- Enhance relationships with businesses and business organizations.
- Support activities related to establishing new volunteer recruitment opportunities.
- Annually deliver a minimum of one classroom program and visit several Company Programs.
Public and Government Relations
- Act as the spokesperson for the organization.
- Manage interactions with various levels of government with the goal of securing funding and exposure for the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY COMPETENCIES
- Proven leadership in a senior role within a small to medium size not-for-profit or for-profit entity
- For-profit business experience is an asset.
- Strong understanding of the workings of not-for-profit organizations, perhaps as a member of a Board, donor, volunteer or employee.
- Demonstrated experience and a successful track record as a sales and business development leader.
- Positive results have been as a consequence of creative abilities, work ethic and influencing skills to successfully prospect, pitch, consult and close opportunities.
- Driven for Results: Demonstrates a track record of executing a strategic plan and consistently attaining results.
- Embodies Professionalism: Projects an image of professionalism, striking a balance between confidence and humility.
- Instinctively moves between the ‘strategic’ and the ‘operational’ in order to deliver results. Applies a strong operational background and develops aggressive yet realistic plans.
- Effectively Manages Relationships: Recognizes the different styles and needs of others and modifies own style to work more effectively at building relationships in a corporate, educational and community setting.
- Inspire others. Demonstrate a passion for youth and business education. Tell the JA “story” in a clear and compelling manner, rallying others into positive action.
- Attract, Retain and Develop Effective Teams. Provide honest and timely performance feedback. Create a compelling mission and purpose and energize employees to work toward shared goals.
- Reasonable financial management skills i.e. Reading income statements and balance sheets; aware of the most common Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. (GAAP)
- Fluency in English, excellent written, verbal and online communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of: the suite of Office 365 products; Raisers Edge and Salesforce CRM; various ‘gathering’ platforms like TEAMS, Zoom; Webinar hosting skills; website architecture and active on social media channels. Be ‘tech savvy.’
- Undergraduate degree is required.
15 Wharncliffe Rd N
London, ON N6H 2A1
74 Queen St N Unit B
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H3
60 William St S
Chatham, ON N7M 4S3
Remote work from anywhere in the SWO or Waterloo Region is possible, however, attendance at the London office regularly will be a requirement, with travel as required to other parts of the region.
To apply, email a resume to email@example.com
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS